The Guelph Humane Society is open for in-person adoptions:
- Each Wednesday 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Each Thursday 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Each Friday 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Please continue to apply for our adoptable animals online.
Contactless adoptions are here!
Contactless Adoption Process:
1) Go to our Available Animals page. View the pets by clicking on their name. Please ensure you read their adorable description and all their important details.
2) Choose the pet that you feel would be a good match for your home.
3) Once in that animal’s file, click “Adopt me” to apply for that specific animal.
4) Create an Adopets account. This is free and once you have an account created your information will be saved so you can easily apply for other animals in the future!
5) Follow the steps for creating an account and completing the adoption application through your Adopets account.
6) Once the application is filled out, submit the application. This will automatically send the application to us (no more emailing necessary!), and you will get immediate confirmation that we have received your application.
7) Check your email/Adopets account for frequent updates on the status of your application.
8) Our team will reach out to you to discuss the next steps, including setting up a virtual adoption meeting via Zoom or other video conferencing. This is a great opportunity for us to assess if the pet is a perfect match for your home/family. These meetings can be scheduled 7 days a week during shelter operation hours. (Adoptions are not processed on a “first come first serve” basis. We may accept multiple applications for an animal in an effort to find the most suitable home.)
9) If everything goes well, we will set-up a pick-up time and your new pet gets to come home!
If you have any questions regarding the contactless adoption process please call 519-824-3091. Please note we will no longer accept the previous PDF adoption application forms. However, if you have submitted one recently for an available animal, we still have it saved and your application will still be considered.
At this time GHS remains closed to the public for animal viewings, with plans to reopen by appointment at our new building (190 Hanlon Creek Blvd.) for July 2022.
Adoption process prior to COVID-19:
If you’re looking for a new family member, the adoption option has never been easier! Follow our easy steps below to adopt a pet from the Guelph Humane Society!
Step 1: See the animals available for adoption!
Your adventure starts by viewing the animals available for adoption! You can see animals looking for new homes on our website, or by coming in-person to the shelter. Be sure to check out our numerous Satellite Locations as well, some located right in your community!
Step 2: Learn about the animal you’re planning to adopt!
Animals are unique; they each have their own personalities and care needs. We encourage you to read up on each animal on our website so you know what you can expect, and be better prepared to bring them into your home. If you’re in the area, we invite you to swing by our shelter or satellite locations and strike up a conversation with the people who know them best! We’re happy to help and answer any questions you may have!
Step 3: Meet the animal!
For dogs: If after learning about our dogs you are still interested in pursuing adoption, our friendly kennel staff will be happy to help set the dog up for a walk with you! Walking with a dog is a great way to get to know them, especially once removed from the shelter setting and in the quiet trails around the shelter!
For cats: At Guelph Humane Society our cats are housed in cozy cages. We invite you to come into our cat room, where you can pet and interact with our friendly felines and get to know them on a personal level!
For small animals: To get to know our small animals (e.g., rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, etc.), speak with our friendly staff to get you set up!
We ask that everyone in the home meet with the animal prior to completing an adoption survey. This limits the “unexpected surprises” that can occur when bringing a new pet into the household!
Step 4: Apply by completing our Adoption Survey!
Cat and Small Animal Surveys can be picked up and filled out at our front desk located at the shelter. Our numerous satellite locations will also have applications ready on hand for the animals they have housed at their location. Dog Surveys can be provided by our kennel staff, and handed into the front desk once completed!
Step 5: Chat with our staff in an adoption meeting!
Once you have submitted your Adoption Survey, you will be scheduled to meet with one of our friendly and knowledgeable Adoption Counselors! Our Adoption Counselors will discuss with you the different needs of each animal, offer suggestions and advice, answer any specific questions you may have, and are happy to work with you to provide the safest and smoothest transition of the pet into the home. If after the Adoption Meeting both you and the Adoption Counselor feel confident that it is a good match, congratulations- you are now a proud pet parent! Depending on the animal, some may be ready to go home the same day. If not, the shelter staff will stay in contact with you and make arrangements to pick up the animal at a later date.