At three months old, Sadie was rushed to the veterinarian. As a young kitten, normally she had lots of energy and liked to jump, run and play, but her behaviour had dramatically changed that day.
Sadie was lethargic, vomiting and not using her litter box. After an examination and a radiograph, her veterinarian discovered she had swallowed something that was lodged in her abdomen.
She needed emergency surgery, care made only possible through donations to the Guelph Humane Society (GHS).
Kittens are curious creatures and will often explore their surroundings by putting objects in their mouths. But this behaviour can be dangerous as they may swallow household objects that can cause serious health issues, such as in Sadie’s case.
Some common household items that kittens may swallow include string, rubber bands, small toys or for Sadie, a foam ear plug. “These objects can cause blockages in the kitten’s digestive system, leading to serious complications or even death,” says Samantha Westphal, GHS’s Animal Care Manager. “Just like child-proofing your home for young children, it is important for pet owners to keep small objects out of the reach of their kittens and to be vigilant in monitoring their behaviour. If a kitten does swallow an object, it is crucial to seek immediate veterinary care.”
To prevent household objects from being swallowed by kittens, Westphal recommends that owners create a safe ‘play area’ free of small objects, regularly inspecting the area for any potential hazards, and providing appropriate toys for the kitten to play with.
Luckily, thanks to GHS supporters, Sadie was able to receive the care she needed when she needed it the most.
She is now back to her regular spunky and energetic self and ready for her happy tail.
Donate by December 31, 2022, to receive a 2022 tax receipt.
Adopt Sadie: Sadie is a high energy kitten that needs a home that can manager her curiosity and spunk. View her full profile online to learn more or to apply to adopt her.