Jump to Content


Services background


What can I do if my pet has passed away

At the Guelph Humane Society, we understand that losing a beloved pet and family member is a very difficult thing. The grief associated with losing a loved one is a hard and difficult process. One of the first steps is to find which resource works best for your healing process. We recommend to reach out to family and loved ones in this difficult time. There are also external resources you can use that may be helpful to you. These include pet loss support groups and counsellors.

Although we don’t offer cremation services directly, we proudly recommend Gateway Pet Memorial services. They are able to offer a wide variety of cremation and memorial services in order to remember your loved one’s life. Please visit their website at gatewaypetmemorial.com for more information about cremation and memorial services.

If in the unfortunate event your pet is brought to our care and is deceased, we will work together with you to ensure your preferred memorial be reflected with the help of Gateway Pet Memorial services.

What are humane services I can use to remove wildlife from my home/property?

  • As our communities grow, we have to share our living communities with our local wildlife
  • To learn more about wildlife in our communities visit our Wildlife section, or visit Canadian Federation of Humane Societies for humane wildlife deterring methods for urban wildlife
  • We highly recommend using Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control
  • For more information on their company and the services they provide please visit: www.skedaddlewildlife.com or call 1-888-592-0387

There are outdoor cats in my neighborhood, is this allowed? Are there by-laws against this?

There are no by-laws in the City of Guelph, Centre Wellington, or Guelph-Eramosa regarding outdoor cats, meaning cats can be let out to roam at the owner’s discretion, however outdoor cats are exposed to many risks that indoor cats are not.

My neighbor's dog is always off leash, what can be done about this?

Within the City of Guelph, Centre Wellington, and Guelph/Eramosa, dogs must be on leash and under control, unless in a designated off leash area. Reports of neighbors allowing their dogs to run off leash can be filed with the Guelph Humane Society either by calling 519-824-3091, or through submission via email at investigations@guelphhumane.ca.

What should I do if I see a dog in a car or a hot day?

The Guelph Humane Society takes reports of dogs left in vehicles very seriously. If a dog is seen in a hot or cold vehicle, it is important to report it immediately to the Guelph Humane Society at 519-824-3091, the Ontario SPCA at 310-7722(SPCA) or the Guelph Police Services at 519-824-1212 to file a report.

What happens to stray animals?

When an animal is brought to us or picked up it is identified as a “stray”. We hold stray animals for a minimum of 5 business days to provide the opportunity for the owner to reclaim their pet. Following the hold period, if no owner was found, the animal can be placed up for adoption.

What can I feed wildlife?

Feeding wildlife is strongly discouraged with the exception of birds. Feeding wildlife may lead to unwanted residents around your home. Sometimes the animals may rely too heavily on the food you offer, which may not be a balanced diet and result in health concerns.

Do you offer petcare/boarding

We do not offer petcare/boarding. In emergency situations, we do offer an emergency 72 hour hold on an intake animal. If you are in need of emergency boarding, please call the Guelph Humane Society at519-824-3091

Do you trim dog nails?

No, we do not offer dog nail trimming. We do however offer a cat nail clinic which includes cat nail trimming and soft paw applications.

What is a microchip?

A microchip is a small chip, about the size of a grain of rice, that is implanted under the pet’s skin as permanent identification. When a lost pet is found, animal shelters and veterinary clinics can scan the pet with a specific type of scanner (using radio frequency identification technology), which will bring up a unique number that is matched in a database to an owner’s contact information. Having a microchip greatly increases the likelihood of the animal being reunited with their owner, in the event it goes missing. An important point to keep in mind with having your pet microchip is to always keep the information up to date. If the owner’s contact information, or any information regarding the pet change it is always important to update this with the company that your pet’s microchip is registered with.

Do you host microchip clinics?

We held our very first Microchip Clinic in the Fall of 2017. We will be holding more clinics in 2018! Check out our events calendar and stay tuned to our Facebook page for information and dates of the event!


Do you provide low-cost spay and neuter services?

We do not offer a spay and neuter service, as we do not have an onsite veterinarian. There are however low-cost spay neuter clinics in our community:

Ontario SPCA Centre Veterinary Hospital (Stouffville): 905-898-6112

Ontario SPCA Animal Clinic (Barrie): 705-734-9882

Lincoln County Humane Society Animal Clinic: 905-688-7722

Windsor/Essex County Humane Society Veterinary Clinic: 519-966-1118

North Bay and District Humane Society Pet Clinic: 705-478-8233

Welland and District Regional Spay Neuter Clinic: 289-820-9651

Visit spayneuter.ontariospca.ca for more information!

To find a veterinarian near you, please visit www.cvo.org

Where are leash free parks in Wellington County?

Within the City of Guelph there are various leash free dog parks. Please visit City of Guelph Website for a list of leash-free parks in the City of Guelph!

Centre Wellington is pleased to have the Fergus Dog Park as a leash free dog park!

We do ask that you are within sight and control of your dog in these off-leash parks to ensure the safety and enjoyment of everyone!

Are rabies vaccinations required for my pet?

Health Protection and Promotion Act: R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 567 ; RABIES IMMUNIZATION

This act states that every owner caring for a dog or cat three months of age or over must ensure that the dog or cat is immunized against rabies.

For more information, please see the following:

Government of Ontario

Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health