Steps to Become a Guelph Humane Society Volunteer
Individual Volunteer Requirement
- To volunteer with the animals, you must be able to volunteer a minimum two hour shift per week for at least four months. If you are unable to meet that time commitment please consider volunteering in another capacity other than with the animals, for example events
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age to work alone. There are some limitations regarding Volunteers working alone under the age of 18yrs.
- Attend all training sessions.
- The minimum age to volunteer is 14 years of age and must be supervised at all times by a parent or guardian and commit to the time requirement of the position applying for.
Group Volunteer Requirements
- We have a limited (however VERY important!) number of group volunteer opportunities that we need help with here at GHS.
- Must be 16 and older
- Maximum of 10 volunteers
- Single-day, group volunteer opportunities are hosted Monday – Saturday for a 3-hour shift (9:00am – 12:00noon or 1:00pm – 4:00pm)
- Groups will be asked to help with tasks around the shelter that could include: helping our Animal Care team with the never-ending laundry & dishes,
- There are often other projects/tasks that may arise!
Groups will be limited on tasks with direct interaction with the animals given the safe animal handling training required for all staff and volunteers who work directly with the animals.
If your group is interested in a Group Volunteer Day here at the shelter, please contact email@example.com
Current Volunteer Opportunities
When we need extra helping hands here at Guelph Humane Society, we will post a volunteer position description here on our website. At the moment, we are currently looking for support with the following volunteer role(s):
- Canine Cleanliness Crew
- Cleanliness Cat Crew
- Companion Animal Chauffeur
- Wildlife Rescue Drivers
- Event Committee Volunteers
- Building and Maintenance
Do you have a special skillset that you feel would benefit the GHS that you would like to share? Please don’t hesitate to contact our Volunteer Coordinator today at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply to become a Guelph Humane Society Volunteer
Filling out the application form online Or by visiting our facility to pick up a printed copy.
Obtain a letter of reference to be included with your application. The letter of reference can be a personal or professional character reference. Your letter can be handed in person, or emailed to our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
Once you have submitted your application, our Volunteer Coordinator will typically be in touch within 14 days to review your application and to set a date for orientation. Please understand that at certain times of the year there may be a higher than usual volume of interest and there may be some delays.
If your application is selected to move forward with the placement process, you will be asked to:
1. Attend an Interview
2. Attend an Orientation Session
3. Attend a Workshop (or DVD training session)
4. Attend a buddy training session