Fostering is a great way to help the animals in our community!
The Guelph Humane Society relies on the dedication of our Foster Volunteers to care for animals who await adoption. The goal of our foster program is to provide as many animals as possible with a second chance for a bright and healthy future. Foster Volunteers provide temporary care for animals in their homes until they are ready to be adopted. Foster Volunteers help us provide every opportunity for an animal to thrive.
Some opportunities may include:
- Nursing mother and babies
- Orphaned kittens
- Socializing feral kittens
- Animals in medical recovery
- Fearful/stressed dogs
- Animals who need behavior modification
- Rabbits and small animal socialization
The Guelph Humane Society will provide all the necessary supplies and training for the animals that will be in foster care. Each opportunity will have a varied time commitment, which can be further discussed with our Animal Program Coordinator.
How To Get Involved
1. Apply to be a Foster Volunteer
- We have a high demand for fosters that have an interest in dog behaviour and are able to foster dogs.
- We are not recruiting any cat/kitten fosters at this time, but we expect to in the following months. Please check back regularly!
To begin the application process, learn more about the Foster Care Program, or if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Meet our Animal Program Coordinator
At this time, our Animal Program Coordinator will further discuss commitments and responsibilities involved in fostering!
3. Wait for a suitable animal in need of foster care
Once we have found an animal that would be best suited for your foster home we will contact you with further details and training.
4. Time to foster!
The Guelph Humane Society will provide you with all the necessary supplies for you to take the animal home.
5. Ready to be returned?
Once the animal is ready for adoption, they will be returned to our care and put up for adoption so they can find their own happy tail!
Please note that the Foster Care Program is not ideal for every volunteer. We will match the home environment with the animal’s needs to give the best opportunity to the animal.