Dedicated to finding the perfect home for our furry friends for more than 120 years, the Guelph Humane Society now finds itself in need of its own perfect home – maybe even its forever home!
500 Wellington Street West, home of the Guelph Humane Society shelter for 45 years, is city-owned land shared with Guelph’s wastewater treatment plant. Wastewater infrastructure is scheduled to expand in the near future to address Guelph’s growing population. This includes reclaiming the shelter’s current building.
In summer 2015, after an exhaustive two-year search and review of available properties by a panel of local experts and Guelph Humane Society representatives, the Guelph Humane Society purchased a property with plans to renovate for a new shelter. After significant work by our construction planning team on the renovation, unforeseen building constraints and challenges were encountered, leading to the conclusion that the site was not the best choice for Guelph Humane Society’s purposes.
We continue to actively investigate new properties on the market, as well as some that are not currently listed for sale. The City of Guelph, owner of our current location, has been supportive and very cooperative in helping us meet our goal.
We are currently looking for a 2-3 acre piece of property that will allow us to provide ample room for our current services, plus the ability to expand both our programming and amenities, including:
- An expanded Humane Education Centre
- Dedicated Adoption Rooms for introducing families to their prospective new pets
- High quality cat and dog homes that take into account animal stress, quality of life, sanitization and more
- Dedicated isolation units to minimize the spread of disease among animals
- Space allocated specifically for testing and behaviour training for animals to ensure that they are ready to go to their new homes
- Lots of paths and trails for walking our dogs, through Preservation Park
- Multi-sized dog runs for controlled outdoor exercise and training
- Convenient parking, and more
- PLUS: Ample space to expand to include a medical center for spay/neuter clinics, microchipping clinics and so much more!
Our goal is to create a community shelter that reflects our core humane values, augments our existing programs, while providing us with room to expand the number of people (and animals) we reach.
As a donor to the capital campaign, it’s not about the funds you donate, but about the dreams that you will help make a reality. We are so grateful for your support!